Wyandotte Cable Digital Adapter (Frequently Asked Questions)
What is a Digital Adapter?
A Digital Adapter is a one-way video device that allows an analog TV to display channels that have been transmitted to the home in a digital format. The Digital Adapter has a "Cable In" and "To TV" output and ‘Power Cord’. Your TV watching experience should be the same on that TV as it is today. The Digital Adapter does not support any advanced video services such as: HD channels, the Interactive Program Guide, VOD (Video on Demand), Pay-per View nor does it offer additional channels available with Digital Expanded service. The Digital Adapter comes with an easy-to-use remote control and is much smaller than current receiver boxes.
How do I know if my TV needs a Digital Adapter?
If your TV currently has Wyandotte Cable digital equipment (Basic Digital Receiver or HD Receiver), you do not need a Digital Adapter for that TV. You need a Digital Adapter to receive the Expanded Basic Cable channel lineup on your TV if:
- Your TV does not currently have Wyandotte Cable digital equipment (the coaxial cable goes directly from the wall to the TV).
- Your TV does not have a built-in QAM digital tuner.
The FCC requires new TVs to have built-in tuners. If you have a TV with a built-in North American cable ready QAM digital tuner, you will not need a Digital Adapter in order to continue to enjoy your Wyandotte Cable Basic Channel lineup.
How do I determine if my TV has a digital tuner?
You should be able to determine if your TV has a built-in digital tuner by following these steps:
- Refer to your TV owner's manual to determine if your TV has a built in QAM digital tuner. If there is no information in the owner's manual, the TV probably does not have a digital tuner. Another way to determine if your TV has a QAM digital tuner is to look at the TV remote control. If the remote has a dot (.) or a dash (-) button, the TV probably does have a digital tuner, as those buttons are often used in programming the tuning of a digital tuner TV.
- Connect the coaxial cable directly from your cable outlet to your television. There should not be any other pieces of equipment connected between the cable wall outlet and the television (Digital Adapter, VCR, DVD player, etc.).
- Use the remote that came with your TV to tune your TV set to Channel 88.4 or 88-4, depending on whether you have a dot or dash on your remote control. If you see the programming for Music Choice Channel playing on the screen, you will not need a Digital Adapter on that TV. Please allow up to two minutes for video to appear.
- If your TV does not allow you to tune to the converted channel, you may need to run a channel scan (auto program). To rescan or auto program your channels:
- Select 'Menu' on your TV remote
- Select the Auto Program, Auto Tune, or Auto Scan Option (you may have to find this in ‘Settings’ or some other menu tab).
- A scan could take as long as 15 minutes, depending on your TV set
- Once the process is complete, if you have a QAM digital tuner, all channels should be fully restored
- If you are still experiencing trouble, please call us at 734.324.7190
for further assistance.
You will need to rescan or auto program your television when Wyandotte Cable channels are reorganized, added or removed.
What if I have a TV with a compatible built-in digital tuner?
Television sets with built-in QAM digital tuners do not need to be connected to Wyandotte Cable equipment to enjoy Wyandotte Cable Expanded Basic Cable service. If your TV has a built-in digital tuner, you will need to rescan (auto program) your television each time Wyandotte Cable channels are reorganized, added or removed.
Can I watch my local broadcast channels in HD without attaching any additional Wyandotte Cable equipment?
If you have an HD television set with a compatible built-in QAM digital tuner, you can continue to view your local broadcast channels in HD without any additional Wyandotte Cable equipment. If you do not have an HDTV set with a built-in QAM digital tuner, you need a Wyandotte Cable HD Receiver in order to receive HD channels, including your local broadcast channels. You will need Wyandotte Cable digital equipment (Basic Digital Receiver or HD Receiver) to receive any satellite programming services.
How do I program my VCR to record using a Wyandotte Cable Digital Adapter?
To record a program using your Digital Adapter and VCR:
- Set your VCR to record channel 3 for the time the program is airing.
- Tune the Digital Adapter to the channel you want to record.
The VCR can only record the channel that your Digital Adapter is tuned to. To record different programs at different times, you will need to change the channel on your Digital Adapter.